- All outgoing mail must have a complete mailing address and return address which includes the inmate’s full name, resident number and address or it will not be delivered for mailing. It must also have the correct postage.
- Effective Monday, February 6, 2017, all general incoming mail will be scanned and posted to the kiosk. The actual piece of mail will be put into the inmate's personal property. Legal mail will still be delivered to the inmate. There will no longer be a postcard only rule for incoming mail as inmates may receive letters. This change does not change the outgoing mail practice.
- If you wish to appeal a letter or package that was returned to sender please email the Shelby County Jail Administration Office, or call 205-669-4181. Appeals must be received within 48 hours of receiving a returned letter or package. Appeals will not be accepted if it does not contain your name and a telephone number in which you can be reached and a valid appeal. Only exigent circumstances will be considered.
- Inmate to inmate correspondence is prohibited.
- Mail that is not properly addressed to the inmate will be returned to the sender. Mail should be addressed as follows:
Inmate Mailing Address : Inmate Name and Resident Number
C/O Shelby County Jail
P.O. Box 1240
Columbiana, AL 35051
- Money orders, cash and other certified funds will NOT be accepted in the mail or in person. Visit www.jailtam.com or use the kiosk in the lobby of the Sheriff's Office to add funds to an inmate's account.
Inmates may obtain books from the local library by submitting their request through the inmate kiosk system.
- All reading material must be paperback, no hard-bound books are allowed.
- Inmates are limited to have a total of 4 books in their assigned housing area. This limit also includes any educational, legal or religious books.
- Inmates are not permitted to receive books, newspapers, publications or any reading items directly from visitors.